Sunday, May 17, 2015

unlovable.




It's easy to give into the waves
to let the sadness swallow me 
whole.
While it whispers
while it gurgles
that I am unloveable.
And the ocean is hungry for my tears
it's waiting for my downfall
to catch me in its hollow bed
to kill me with a salty kiss,
to remind me I am unlovable.

And the earth is no better,
with her merciless ground and sky
pushed between
lips that never love;
a marriage between dirt and hurt,
between the darkness and the dawn,
for my dreams and waking life
tell me
I am unlovable. 

As a child I used to crush dolls together
and wonder
why they never kissed,
why they never wrapped arms around waists,
why their faces stayed the same
as though
they despised each other,
like the secret to love
was secret hatred,
and the secret was I was unlovable.

A puzzle I could never crack,
a code I could never piece together
was how you loved me
why you loved me
when you loved me,
but I remember where you loved me.
Cause it sunk into my skin
every touch
every firework
every ember
and it burned but the burn was the fire I wanted.
and I had no reason to feel unlovable.

But the earth, the sky, the sea, and the dolls
were all just smoke
and signals
from the ashes in my belly. 
I put them out
I stamp them out
I cry them out
I scream them out.
Let tragedy draw me back to the arms of love.
My jaw my unhinge but truth
but truth
has no allegiance and on the shoulders I will stand,
and my knees may be covered in dirt
and my heart may be dipped in hurt
but home is where the peace is
and peace is worth fighting for.
Back to the arms
back to the heart
back to the start
in silence
in darkness
in ashes
in brokenness
I am lovable.
am
lovable.



No comments:

Post a Comment